It can be difficult to know how to make a difference to the climate emergency in our own lives.
One of the simplest and most effective things we can do is switch to a more plant-based diet.
Could you make a ‘veg pledge’ to eat plant-based food for a day? a week? a month? a year?
Thanks to Jai Jagat 2020 UK for their help in creating the veg-pledge.
Not sure where to begin? Here are some tips to get started on your plant-based adventure!
- Get inspired: The Food for Thought booklet has ideas for tasty plant-based recipes.
- Cook from scratch where you can: it gives you control over where your ingredients come from.
- Buy local and seasonal: check out independent shops and markets.
- Cut down waste food and plastic packaging: plan meals and buy small amounts regularly.
- Support sustainable farming practices such as organic or Fairtrade.
Make your pledge go further by writing to your local councillor, to ask what your council is doing to strengthen local food production and supply chains of plant-based foods. Let them know you are doing your bit, and want the council to do theirs.
Download a template letter and customise it by adding what steps you are taking. Then look up who your local councillors are and their contact details via Write to Them. The template is written for Birmingham City Council, but can be easily adapted for other councils.
Photo: USDA licensed under Creative Commons CC-BY-2.0